Monday, March 25, 2019

Day 160: Middles


White about the middle of something, anything!



The creative beginnings of a book hold the writer captivated with discovering new characters.  The fresh ideas pop around in the writer's head like those old fashion vacuum toys with the popping balls.  A color for each new idea keeps the writing flowing ever forward.  The words fly from the fingers, through the keyboard, and onto the monitor.  A humming fills the air, vibrating all around.  Beautiful!

As time passes, the fingers slow down.  The keys fail to bounce back up as quickly.  All the ideas turn shades of gray, or worse, black.  The writer loses their momentum.  They can grow bored.  Doubt sinks into their skin. Did they give the protagonist enough of a challenge to reach their goal?  Is the antagonist believable?  What was the blasted name of the guy fishing by the lake?  The middle becomes murky for the author's emotions and self esteem.

Luckily, the end arrives after writing and writing some more, never giving up.  In the past, I have enjoyed the end of the book.  The plot wraps up in most areas.  I love to end with a cliffhanger for the next book.  Great fun.  However, I have learned with this fifth book that I am writing now that the end of the series is harder then the middle of a book.  I thought remembering the beginning of the book could be difficult.  Remembering the details of four books to end the series is far more complicated.  I must be crazy for working on such a project.  But hey, I am already excited about my second series.  Yep, officially crazy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...