Thursday, March 14, 2019

Day 150: Book Review: Before We Were Yours


As I passed 90% of my reading book, I realize that I haven't written a book review in ages.  I have been reading, honest.  This year I have read seven books.  My goal is always two per month.  The longer ones tend to take longer, but I read shorter and/or easier books to keep the count.  This book was an easy book.

I downloaded the book "Before We Were Yours" by Lisa Wingate on my kindle sometime last week.  As soon as I started the book, I haven't thought about much else.  The historical fiction grabbed my attention and didn't let go of me.  Five children living on a river boat with their parents were stolen by the Tennessee Children's Home Society orphanage.  I kept thinking of Rill and her siblings.  Horrid! 

Of course, Rill and all but one of the characters in the book were fictional.  At the end, the author talked about Georgia Tann and the Home as historical.  The atrocities from that time era cause a person to feel such despair for these poor children.  We as a society have come far from this time of child stealing; however, it would be naive to think our children are treated better.  I know many are still exploited.

I recommend this novel.  The ending of the book couldn't be considered "happily ever after."  However, closure ensued with an ending that left the ready satisfied.  Stories like this make me think of the orphanage here in Helena back in the day.  I have thought of doing some research.  I don't think I could do the story justice at this point of my writing.  Maybe someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...