Friday, March 8, 2019

Day 144: The Cricket Bat


I listened to Matthew Kelly’s video this morning.  He talked about the cricket bat he wanted as a kid.  He thought if he received the bat he would be completely happy.  I started laughing as soon the first seconds of the video started.  I knew he would discuss how items, things won’t make us happy.  I get that.  He talked about how our happiness comes from God.  I totally agree.  However, I still knew the video wasn’t going to reach me as Matthew intended.  You see, first thing this morning, I looked up new vehicles online on my phone.  After logging onto my computer, I dove deeper into my search.  I believe a new Nissan Frontier will make me happy.

I have always loved vehicles and loved to drive.  Fifteen years ago, my husband bought me a two year old Frontier that is still sitting in my driveway.  I have driven it to town twice this morning.  He thought the novelty of the vehicle would wear off in a month or two.  Nope.  I still get a thrill driving my baby.  The problem is that the locks no longer work, the AC is dead and will take removing the engine to fix.  I dream of heated seats.  I would love a good stereo system other then a radio that doesn’t work in half of my state.  In the winter the doors stick and are a pain to open.  Two days ago, I accidently hit the lock button.  My daughter couldn’t get into the passenger’s side front door.  I have tried getting them fixed at least twice.  Gurr.  It is time for a new vehicle.

Now, normally, I am not a material girl.  But when it comes to equipment that I need to use, like a vehicle, I want reliability and workability.  Yes, I also like it to look good.  Does this make me shallow?  Maybe.  But my Frontier has made me very happy.  I have some good memories, and I will miss him when I trade him in.  Junior has been a part of my life for fifteen years.  I do love him.  If I could keep him, I would.  However, I don’t need two pickups.  And yes, my vehicles are named, and I talk to them. 

No, I don't place more value in a vehicle then a lot of other things, including my faith.  I am not sure I will bit the bullet and take out a loan.  We have expenses coming up in the next couple of months.  I still have my car to drive as well.  The car goes to Madelle when she gets her license.  So, a truck may not be in my near future, but a girl can dream.  And really, I don't think God minds when we take joy in a thing and are thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...