Monday, March 4, 2019

Day 140: Political Filters and Ashley Wilkes


After some debating, my daughter sent me out the door to go watch my favorite movie.  The reason I debated is the weather.  I am so tired of the cold.  I am also tired of snow and ice.  I have been aching and life is just easier if I stay inside.  Besides, I always have housework or writing tasks that keep me busy.  I have plenty to occupy my time.  She said, "this is your favorite movie and you love it so much.  You need to go."  So, I went.  I had a wonderful time.

I can't even guess how many times I have watched Gone With the Wind.  I have read the book twice and feel the need to read it again one of these days.  I read the second book, but it was horrible, and I will never read that one again.  I am sure I have written about my love of this piece of literature.  I have been to the Road to Tara museum in Jonesboro where I saw my favorite dress, the green and white barbecue dress and the dress made of Ms. Ellen's drapes.  I have been to the GWTW museum in Atlanta where I touched the door of Tara and saw the infamous portrait of Scarlet that Rhett threw the whiskey glass at in a fit of rage.  I also have been to the Margaret Mitchell House in Atlanta where I went into her apartment and touched the typewriter she wrote the novel on.  Be still my beating heart.  Yep, I am a huge fan.  Oh, I almost forgot.  I have eaten at a restaurant called Pittypat's Porch, best fried green tomatoes ever!!!

As I watched the movie on the big screen this time, I realized I watched it from a different point of view or should I say a different filter.  In reality, I am amazed they still play the movie.  The way they portray the slaves, later servants, I am sure it is offensive to many people.  I see the story of the different races completely differently.  I know slavery is a terrible institution.  I can't even imagine owning another person, let alone all the terrible ways they were treated.  However, slavery came from a different time in history.  There were good slave owners.  In my family history, slaves were owned and lived in the house with the family.  They worked together to make a living off the land.  When they were freed, they took on the family’s last name, Nixon.  I am not saying this makes slavery right.  I am saying we can't be so black and white about a time in history we didn't live in.  I love how Mammy always knew what Scarlet was up to.  I love how Mammy fiercely loved the babies she helped raise.  I love how Big Sam still cared for Scarlet and saved her.  Scarlet took care of some of their now freed help.  She could have turned them out, but they were family.  Yes, slavery is bad.  However, there was cases of love, respect, and a common goal.

And then there was Ashley Wilkes.  I have never liked Ashley.  When I was a teenager watching the movie for the first time, I would shake my head wondering what Scarlet saw in him.  My word, he wasn't man enough for her spirit.  As I have grown older, my disdain for him has grown.  As I watched the movie on the big screen yesterday, I found I hated him.  Here is a guy that is a bit older then Scarlet.  and leads her on using her naivety against her.  He uses her to stroke his ego.  He talks honor, but the real honor would have been to tell her he doesn't love her from the beginning, not play around with her heart for years.

All in all, I loved seeing new meaning and having new thoughts about the movie.  Since the last time I saw it on the big screen, we have had Confederate controversy throughout the country and even here in our Montana town.  In the Women's Park, a statue stood donated by the Daughter's of the Confederacy.  The debate grew heated and eventually the statue was taken down.  I thought this a gross miscarriage of historical justice.  I think keeping the statue up could lead to a great teaching moment.  Instead, we are hiding the truths about our past.  So, with all of that in mind, I am surprised people haven't wanted to destroy GWTW.  I will say that I am glad they haven't.  I would truly miss seeing it at the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...