Saturday, March 16, 2019

Day 152: Job in the 1860's


If you had lived hundreds of years ago, what kind of work do you think you would have done?  What job would you have wanted to do?



Really?  Is it good to leave this question so open?  Hundreds?  How many hundreds?  I guess I will pick one of my favorite times in history, the Civil War.  Let’s play with this a bit.

My Nixon family lived in Virginia before the war started.  June 20, 1863, the section they called home became West Virginia.  Quite a few of the men in the family fought for the North.  One fought for Virginia.  I believe during that time I would have worked on the family farm.  I probably would have sold the produce from the farm, sewed, cooked, and done laundry for those who could pay or barter.  I would have been a mom.

So, what would I have wanted to do?  Sure, I was a medic for the military, but I didn’t like the job.  I probably would have wanted to be a teacher.  Women didn’t have many options in the 1860's.  I also would have been what I am now, a housewife and mother.  I definitely wouldn’t have been a soldier.  I hope I would have kept a journal to hand down to my descendants for them to see what life was like back in those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...