Thursday, February 16, 2023

Work

          First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have felt like a fraud.  I have not felt brave at all this week.  I have worried about the new house payments.  They are steeper than I would like facing retirement.  On the other hand, I fear staying in our current house.  My dreams have ended here.  I need to dream.  All of my dreams on the new property.  Of course, then I worry that I won’t be able to work my dreams.  Ugh, I need to get out of my head.  So, yes, I can be brave, but I can also be scared.  Today, I went and spent time praying at the chapel on campus.  I felt much better.  God will work it out.  I will work my dream.  I will trust him even when I have a bad day or week.  But onto this week's quote about work.





He who labors as he prays lifts his heart to God

with his hands.

                                                                    Saint Benedict


Last year, I studied Saint Benedict and his book that he wrote, “The Rule.”  The book is written for those in a Benedictine monastery, so some of the chapters didn’t completely relate to the life of the laity.  Other chapters were amazing.  What I love about the overarching theme was praying while working.

I am not good at this.  I want to be, but I usually forget to pray until halfway through a task.  Hum, if at all.  In fact, just thirty minutes ago, I washed a bunch of dishes.  I didn’t pray.  I worked in the garage earlier.  I didn’t pray.  I get very frustrated with myself.  A lot of the jobs I do around the house are perfect times to pray.  Instead, I am in a hurry and forget.  I need to listen to music, but my daytime housemate grumbles.  

When I am in my quilt room, I am better at praying.  Many times, I turn on my Christian music or some traditional chant.  This puts me in the right mindset for prayer.  If my mind wanders, the lyrics bring me back to my prayer.  Of course, many times, the music is the prayer.  Yet, the prayer doesn’t always come naturally.

The garden is my natural environment for prayer.  Okay, church is the main place, but the garden is the next best place.  Outside always brings me closer to God.  I actually feel like the two of us work together in the garden.  I plant, water, weed, and mulch while He gives the plants a little nudge to grow.  He adds color to the leaves and pedals.  At times, He calls for a ladybug to join us or a curious bird.  I am always thankful in the warm sun with the blue sky above me.  Oh, and nothing is better than sipping a cup of coffee in the crisp morning air as we contemplate what area of the garden we are going to work on until the heat forces me inside.  Yep, I love gardening season when I feel Him most.

Until spring, I will continue to try to pray while doing the dishes, laundry, making the bed, sweeping, moping, and all those domestic chores.  Oh, I need to also pray while I pack up the house.  There are so many opportunities to pray.  The ultimate goal is to pray without ceasing.

Blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...