Thursday, March 17, 2011

An Irish Grandfather

                Thursdays are always a busy day for me because I go to a Bible study and run all the errands I haven’t gotten to during the beginning of the week.  Thus, I do the quote of the week since it is a short post.  Today I was so busy that I didn’t even get that done.  I had wanted to discuss some quotes from Saint Patrick, but I will tell a story instead.
                Yesterday I mentioned how we have secularized many Christian/Catholic Feast Days.  Christmas has turned to Santa Claus, Easter to the Easter Bunny, Saint Valentine’s Day to the cherub, and Saint Patrick’s Day to Leprechauns.  A couple of years ago a friend called her grandfather who still resides in Ireland.  She asked what he did to celebrate their patron saint.  “What you are supposed to do.  I went to Mass!”  Saint Patrick must have chuckled from that and agreed most readily with her grandfather. 
                I must confess I didn’t go to Mass.  Instead, I skipped Mass to go to my hair appointment.  I wouldn’t make a good Irish Catholic.  A Norwegian Catholic I do quite well though.  After my appointment, I came home and made corned beef, Irish stew, and Irish Soda Bread.  The entire time I thought of Patrick.  After dinner I took a walk and thought of the two hundred miles he had to walk to the coast of Ireland to escape slavery.  Tomorrow I will discuss a couple of quotes from this great man of God. 
                Blessing to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...