Monday, April 1, 2019

Day 167: Capital Hill Mall


For years, the talk about malls is that they are the way of the past.  Many times going into a mall, they feel deserted.  Our little mall has been no exception.  Different projects have been discussed for the monstrosity of a building.  The historical museum society worked different proposals that failed, which I thought a great way to reuse the building.  The project failed to take shape.

While all the speculation happened, one by one the stores moved out or closed.  I have been sad by this decline.  I used to love going to the mall when I was younger.  Of course, in the past fourteen years, I rarely stepped foot in the mall.  Going to Wal-Mart, I could get everything on the list and at a much lower price.  The malls have outlived themselves.

When the announcement came out in the paper that demolition would begin in February, I was sad.  I know the history of the mall is minor, but it is history just the same.  The destruction was put off for a month due to snow and frigid temperatures.  Now, I normally don’t go to this part of town.  However, my daughter worked an internship right across from the mall.  For the last four weeks, I have driven by it twice a day.  I have had mixed feelings.

I am not an environmentalist.  I don’t run around yelling about saving trees or closing down mines.  I approve developing out natural resources like oil.  They give our people jobs.  Coming from a poor area that only became poorer when the woods department and mine were closed, I sympathize with the workers first.  But a part of me absolutely hates seeing houses, buildings, bridges, and the like torn down.  Look at all that waste going into the landfill. All the wood, bricks, glass, that someone with a little imagination could do something with.  Or why not just find a new use for the building.  I know, I know.  To repurpose the building, the amount of money is so much more then tearing down and starting over.

Then I wonder, where are all those people who chain themselves to trees or hold huge demonstrations like in North Dakota about the pipeline?  Why aren’t they protesting all this crap going in the landfills?  Why do we only hear them yelling, screaming, demonstrating?  Shouldn’t these people be the once making a change?  Come up with a plan for these buildings.  Find a way to save them.  I just find the hypocrisy ridiculous.

Of course, then the logger, tomboy in me comes out.  One day, while waiting for my daughter, I watched a huge bulldozer like piece of equipment hitting one of the walls and ceiling.  My pulse raced.  I wanted to run that dozer.  How cool!!!  My imagination saw a M1 Tank or at least a Sherman idling next to the old JC Penny store.  I could imagine putting my foot on the accelerator and crashing through the wall.  And I thought, they could make some money at this demolishing thing.

I would pay a hundred bucks to take a whack at the wall.  After hitting it the first time, I would probably give them another hundred to hit it again.  I would love to tear up the cement flooring with the machinery.  Or, another cool idea, take people on a tour showing them where all the blasting material goes.  Then when they blow the building, hand out hardhats and let people watch.  I would be there.

Yes, I am the one who drives by the road construction wishing I could play with the grownup Tonka trucks.  Yes, I played with them.  My favorite was the orange road grater, just like the one my dad drove in the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...