Friday, April 5, 2019

Day 171: Overrated


What is something totally overrated in your world?



College education for everyone is highly overrated.  Yes, I have a college degree.  I am very happy I received that degree because it taught me that I love history.  I also learned how to work hard.  To get through school since I had no one helping me pay for anything, I learned to work three jobs while going to school fulltime.  My degree was hard won, and I am very proud of myself for graduating.

With all of this said, in reality, I only used my full degree for three years.  Was all that money a waste?  No.  When I was hired fulltime out at the fort as a technician, my boss said he hired me as the lead voucher examiner because I had a degree.  The door wouldn’t have opened to me so soon.  I am pretty positive my education also helped me rise in the federal program.  I also used my education training to train people in finances.

However, college isn’t for everyone.  All three of my kids have been pushed to go to college by the school system.  My oldest had no desire to go with a four year degree.  Instead, he worked for an associates.  My middle started out in college, but he wasn’t ready.  He is going now for an associates as well.  That is perfectly fine.  Currently, my youngest doesn’t want to go through more schooling.  We are supporting her and looking for other types of education in the fields that she is interested in at this point.  

I really believe we need to bring trade schools back as an option for our kids.  Our school counselors need to push other avenues as much as they push college.  In the end, I don’t care what job my kids have as long as they are working and making their way in the world.  I hope they have the wherewithal to save for retirement and live within their means.  But college? Highly overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...