Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Day 202: Birthday Drive




When I was a little girl, many summer evenings, my family took drives out into the woods.  I loved trying to spot a wild animal or bird before my dad and identify what it was.  One time, I remember driving by Fortine and Trego, Montana.  We counted well over one hundred dear.  As I grew older, you know, the teenage years, I hated these trips; unless it was just Dad and I.  We would drive to Libby and we added guessing the next area of the road we were at: Warland Creek, Dunn Creek and such.

I still do both games on my own.  I guess the next off ramp from here to Missoula, Bozeman, and Billings.  On the two lane highways to Libby, I guess the creeks all the way to the destination which happens to be a good four and a half hours.  I also watch for birds and animals.  Lately, I watch for birds more.  I love them.

Now, I am not one to just go on drives, but I love to drive to a destination.  For the last couple of years, I have wanted to do more exploring around Helena.  This is a result of losing my dad.  I know I don't have my partner in crime to do this with in Lincoln County.  Well, all our vehicles are old, and I didn't completely trust them.  Now that I have my new truck and Madelle is doing well enough that I can leave her for the day, I plan to go on more drives.  Monday was such a day.  Since it was my birthday, my son came home to go on the adventure with me.  The destination was Holter Lake.


Our first stop was unexpected.  We pulled off at Gates of the Mountain and drove down to the docks.  On our way back, we saw a pelican and a deer.  As we came to the interstate, we saw these two strange birds.  I felt like I was back in Hawaii.  They looked like chickens, but huge.  They turned and we thought turkeys.  As the truck got closer, they took flight.  I had never seen this type of bird before.  I looked them up: turkey vultures.  So cool!!!  I love seeing something new.





We continued down the interstate until the off ramp to the Frontage Road.  The Missouri River is beautiful.  On our way up to the lake, we saw a nest of pelicans.  Then we made it to the lake.  I have never been up there.  Stupid, I know.  But when you are raising kids, working fulltime, working as a soldier part-time, and traveling around the state to see family, I just don't get out in the country enough! 

Of course the lake is beautiful.  We wandered around the campground a little bit.  I snapped some pictures.  We saw a loon.  The picture didn't turn out well, but I am adding it anyway.  I love loons.  Unfortunately he was very quiet.  We also saw another pelican.  He amazed us when he took flight.  Gorgeous!!!

We continued down the Missouri seeing one more nest.  Without a second concrete destination, we both were done with the trip.  I jumped onto the interstate at the next ramp.  Though the day was gloomy, we enjoyed our time.  My son is great at conversation.  I thought of my dad on this trip.  I am taking over where he left off.  He and I used to go on drives and do a little fishing.  I am working at doing the same with Clay.  I love the tradition.

Once home, we added to our own tradition.  We played a game of Cribbage.  Man, Clay got a hand worth 21 points.  One of my hands was worth ZERO.  He skunked me.  And on my birthday!  I just didn't raise him right.  Seriously, I am so truly blessed.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...