Monday, May 6, 2019

Day 200: First Day


Describe a “first day” in your life (first day of marriage, of school, etc.).



To be completely honest, I don’t remember the exact first day, but I remember being scared to death wondering what the hell I was getting myself into.  For the first time in my life, I traveled clear across the country on a commercial airline.  I got off the bus that traveled from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Ft. Dix, New Jersey for BASIC Training.  Yelling began as soon as the bus stopped.  Chaos ensued.  I wish I had kept a consistent journal during those days.  But then, I wouldn’t have had time to write in it with all the activities that kept us so busy.  I was twenty-one years old and feeling ancient.  The average age was about eighteen and a half.

One day at the beginning of BASIC I forgot my key inside my locker.  My drill sergeant had to use bolt cutters on the lock.  I had to buy a new one.  He was growling at me.  I was frustrated.  I said, “yes, Sir.” to whatever he was saying, probably that I was a stupid private. Yep, true enough.  It wasn’t my first time saying, “yes, Sir” to this Brown Round.

“Private, I am not an officer.  I won’t tell you again.  Say, yes, Drill Sergeant.”

“Sorry, drill sergeant, my dad taught me to say sir.  I will work on that bad habit.”

For the first time, I saw humor in his eyes, though he kept the stern look on his face.  I was blessed to have an uncle who fought in the Korean War, though funny enough, I didn’t know that at the time.  That is another story for another day. But my uncle was a gruff man.  This drill sergeant had nothing over him.  I cracked the code in how to respond to him.  From then on, I didn’t mind all the yelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...