Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Day 201: Saving Money


What was the first thing you ever saved up your money to purchase?



Cowboy boots.  Hum, I remember saving, but for the life of me, I don’t remember buying them.  I wonder if I succeeded in gathering the money because I also don’t remember how I would have earned the money.  I would have been about ten.  Maybe I should talk about what I remember.

Turning 12 was the best birthday ever.  This gave me the ability to earn money by babysitting. My independence began here.  Even at 12, I knew I didn’t wear the best of clothes.  In fact, the year before, I wore mostly hand me down outfits from my aunt that she took in to fit me.  So earning the green stuff was amazing.  I babysat for anyone.  Yep, I saved from about February through August for school clothes.

When I entered Junior High, we had a fun day during the winter every Friday.  There were quite a few options to sign up for: cake decorating, bowling, cross-country skiing, and downhill skiing.  My mother tried to convince me to do the cake decorating due to the price and her love of the hobby.  They couldn't afford either of the skiing options.  I refused.  Luckily, the holiday babysitting scene enabled me to save enough to sign up for cross-country, though I longed for downhill.  I loved those Fridays and never regretted the hard work it took to afford them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...