Thursday, November 1, 2018

Day Seventeen: Reflections



Sitting in front of my monitor, I wonder what I should write about at O dark thirty.  Should I write about the experience Tuesday night to prep for a procedure at the Surgi Center?  How about the hate that occurred this past weekend?  Or maybe how our Halloween unfolded.  I guess I will talk about all three.

With all my medical issues, I decided to opt for a Colonoscopy when given the option.  I have a lot of issues with the meds I take for the rheumatoid arthritis, so I wanted to know without a doubt that I have a healthy colon.  I will not go into the details of the prep, but I lost 6.6 pounds in twenty-four hours.  Also, the staff at the Surgi Center were wonderful.  I passed with flying colors and all is well.  Yay!!!

When I came home, I vegged in front of the television watching a new episode of Doctor Who.  I love the new doctor and her companions.  The episode was about their trip to a past United States and the historical figure Rosa Parks.  The episode was filled with hate for Rosa and two of the three companions.  As I watched, I felt such sadness.  I love diversity.  We all have so much to teach each other. 

This morning I opened a news article about how someone put up posters for a white Supremist organization at Carroll College and the community college here in our small little town soon after the news broke about the killings in Pittsburgh.  Yes, we have come far since the days of Rosa, but there is still work to do.  I feel a deep sense of sorrow.  I can't imagine how miserable a person has to be to have hatred so ingrained in their personalities.

As for Halloween, this was our first year not taking a child out trick or treating in over twenty years.  Madelle didn't even mention going out.  Since I am not a fan of the day, I had no problems with this at all.  She spent the evening drawing.  One of her friends stopped by for a bit.  I handed out candy.  We had a record breaking night with trick or treaters.  Jerry played on the computer and watched a little television with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...