Sunday, November 25, 2018

Day 41: Robin Hood


A few months back, I saw the trailer to the new Robin Hood movie.  I love Robin Hood.  My introduction to the legend is sketchy.  I don't remember if I read about it in British Lit or if I saw the old Errol Flynn movie.  Jerry just thinks it comes from my obsession with all things British.  Maybe.  Can I help that I took a full year of both British lit and history?  Or that my family comes from York, England?  Or that I traveled all over the island and long to go back?

The second time I saw the trailer, I became nervous.  Something seemed off.  The rest of the time when the teasers showed, I ignored them.  I had to see the film.  Well, we went yesterday afternoon.  My instincts proved true.  I should have listened to them.  I hated the movie.

My belief in literature is that one piece, like Robin Hood, speaks many truths and can have many interpretations.  I am not a purest.  I like to see what other artists will do with a work.  Years ago, A Knight's Tale hit the big screen.  A friend of mine loved the movie, but recommended I didn't see it.  She knew my love of history and felt the anachronisms would cause me to hate the movie.  Sure, the film was not at all historically accurate, but I loved the directors interpretation for our modern world.  I suspended my belief and enjoyed the movie for arts sake.

I tried really hard with this movie to do the same.  At one point, I worried that I was becoming an old curmudgeon, hating the modern form.  I looked past the inaccurate clothing.  I actually loved the steampunk weapons they used.  They were wicked cool.  The action scenes were great.  I enjoyed what they did with Little John, to some extent, and Will Scarlet.  That is where it ended. 

I hated Marian.  The woman can't act to save her life.  In the first scene, the lower part of her face was veiled.  Her eyes were stunning.  They should have kept her face veiled the rest of the movie.  Though the mining area was grungy, she sported a beautiful, pure white crocheted dress.  Ya, that was possible! 

I also struggled with them making Robin Hood a traitor, John the mastermind, and the current political one-sided theme that prevailed over the movie.  The political part left me feeling like I was being yelled at, just like I feel in this political climate we live in today.  Oh, and I didn't appreciate the religious stuff either.  I admit the Catholic church has corruption, but it also has authenticity in faith.  That wasn't represented at all.

The movie left the door open for a sequel.  I shudder at the thought.  Will we go to that at the theater?  I won't be able to get Jerry there at all.  I will probably watch it on DVD.  I would like to see how Will plays out.  Jamie Foxx did a great job acting, though I did struggle with his storyline.  I would also like to see what they do with Friar Tuck.  I loved him at the beginning, but his attitude ticked me off at the end.  The writer's could redeem him later, though I doubt they will.

Now, I am sure there are those who loved the movie.  I am glad.  As I said earlier, everyone has the right to their interpretation.  I didn't care for it.  Kevin Reynold's and Kevin Costner's adaptation will continue to be my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...