Thursday, November 22, 2018

Day 38: Thankful for a Needle


Since I can remember, I have hated taken medicine.  I would rather have a headache then take a pill. And vitamins, no!!!  In the last eight to ten years, I have become pretty good at the pills.  I am on four different pill prescriptions, take vitamin D, and Estroven. Uff da.  I have learned that having to give myself shoots is a hundred times worse.

For about three to four years, I had to give myself a shot of methotrexate once a week.  I got to the point where alcohol, the rubbing kind, made me sick to my stomach by the smell.  I had to change to hydrogen peroxide. Even then, my stomach would get messed up just from the shot.  And I wasn’t the best customer. Usually, I am pretty easy going and don’t mind switching things up. However, I made my pharmacy continue to stock my favorite needle.  I think I was the only one using it. I didn’t care. The other needles hurt worse and the one I used was bad enough.  I didn’t throw a fit about the needle, but I am sure they could see I was on the edge.

A little over a year ago or so, I asked my doctor if we had other options.  She complied by putting me on Avara in the pill form. Failure. I have not been doing well, okay, but not well.  I need something stronger.

For three months, I have been working the process to get onto Humira.  The prefilled needles arrived on Tuesday. I dreaded the process, even though I am so ready to feel good again.  I thought I would start after Thanksgiving. My nurse ambassador called later after the meds showed up and I figured I probably shouldn’t procrastinate on starting.  I told her she could call me yesterday at 1:00.

Well, I think my fear is stupid.  My dad would give me grief about my attitude.  He was right, but I still complained.  I can give myself a shot and really don’t need anyone holding my hand on the phone or in person.  I did all the reading of the instructions. Simple process with the pen. Well, come to find out, the pharmacy didn’t send the pen.  They sent the needle.  Crap!!!

I spent a nervous 20 minutes waiting for the medicine to warm up.  Then I just went for it. I am happy to say that the needle is a good 50 times smaller then the one I had to use from Shopko.  The process was easy!!! I am so happy and thankful. Now, I just hope it starts working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...