Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Day 23: Audible



I finally did it.  I downloaded the Audible app on my phone.  For months, I have been listening to my son talk about all the books he listens to on his account.  He works in sterilization at the hospital during the graveyard shift.  When he works the shift on his own, he has eight hours of listening time while he works.  Over all this time, he has come to enjoy specific voice actors and will book a book that the actor has recorded.  I have been fascinated by this.  At Miscon, I listened to a panel about audio books, and in Vegas, they did a panel as well.  Audio books are a growing outlet for books.  Fascinating. 

As I perused the store, I clicked on a couple books that I have been thinking of buying on my kindle.  I was shocked by the price of a book.  I looked at the book “Before They Were Yours.”  Regular price is 35.00, and the Member Price is 24.50.  Wow!  I ended up getting Orphan Train at what I thought was $13.00, but that was the member price.  I am not sure if I am a member.  I am using Jerry’s account.  This could grow into an expensive habit.

Now, I shouldn’t be surprised by the price.  I investigated putting my own books into Audible in May after Miscon.  Sure, I could read my book or Jerry could.  He has a great voice, but he only has one real voice.  Knowing Clay has become a fan of the actors he has listened to, I really need to hire someone that will do the book justice.  To do the project right with a good voice actor, I believe it would cost up to $5,000.  Ouch.  Considering I am not even making triple digits, that is not an option.  I must be patient with this project!!! 

I will say that I love the book so far.  Originally, I was worried that I would fall asleep from just listening.  I didn’t.  Still, I won’t be listening when I go to bed.  Finding where I fell asleep would be a pain.  Anyway, I spent a wonderful hour listening to the story unfold.  The actor even has a beautiful Irish accent for the old woman when she was a child.  Brilliant.  I am loving this form of literature.  In fact, I can’t wait to get back to the story later today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...