Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Day 29: Exasperation




At the beginning of my rheumatoid arthritis journey, I learned quickly that the medical world can take up a ton of time.  I felt like all I did was go to the doctor’s office.  After my pain stabilized, I boycotted doctor’s and only went when absolutely necessary.  Turning fifty, I decided I should do some of the pesky tasks my general practitioner suggested.  Well, my rheumatologist also has up some of my appointments and medicine.  This fall, all I have been doing is going to the doctor. 

Yesterday, I had to go for a bone density test.  All in all, the appointment was easy compared to the colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago.  I had to smile though as they ran the test.  I felt like I was in an episode of Star Trek.  I laid on a table.  Off to the side, a big arm came up from the floor and curved up and over the table about four feet above me.  The arm moved taking a picture of my hip and then my back.  The test took thirty minutes and with drive time, it wasted a little over an hour of my time.  Really, not all that bad, but add it to everything else this fall and Uff Da!!!

All of this year, my pain has increased, so my arthritis doctor is working at getting me on a new med.  What a pain!  I have been working at getting this issue resolved since the middle of September, two months!!!  If this was life and death, I wouldn’t be around to write this blog.  The medicine has to be shipped to me.  Crazy.  And really, the medicine is pricey.  Four two shots a month and a two-month prescription, the total is $4,800.  I thank God that we have insurance.  However, it is taking an act of Congress just to get the stuff to me.  I finally got a call from the pharmacy last night.  The conversation started with a computer.  Once I answered a few questions, they put me on hold.  Seriously???  We were on our way out to go watch the game with my 49ers.  Twenty minutes later while sitting in the truck, I finally talked to a real person.  I was a little pissy to say the least.  The call took thirty minutes in total.  That was as long as my bone density test.  Oh, and here is the start of the conversation with the real person.

“How can we help you?” Ashley asked politely.

“You called me!!!” Yes, I was a little exasperated.  They were interrupting with the first minutes of the football game.  Yet, I couldn’t wait any longer or it might be another two blasted months.  Annoying as hell!!!

Man, you have to be tough as nails and patient the older you get.  Oh, and have a lot of time to put into this old age crap!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...