Sunday, November 4, 2018

Day Twenty: New Names



Biliinneete
Crow for Stillwater River

Some of the writing prompts in my notebook make me shake my head.  Granted, some writers might like the topic, but I find them odd.  I haven't any idea what to say to them.  I was thinking I could just skip them, but I really hate when I don't accomplish something in a book.  If there is a blank space, it must be filled.  Today I will attempt one of the prompts I don't really like.

Give your city (or town or region) a new name that reflects what type of place it is, and explain why you chose that name.  Ugh.  Really?  I love the name Helena.  I look at the St. Helena Cathedral and I believe it to be the best of names.  I can't think of anything better.  As for my state?  Montana means mountain and that is so appropriate for this side of the state.  Which thinking about it, the name only reflects half the state.

This morning a couple of ideas came to mind for Helena.  Every year, the city celebrates its past by having a parade through town called the Vigilante Parade.  Vigilante could be a good name for our town.  Or maybe Last Chance.  The area was discovered by four Georgians that were looking for gold.  They hadn't found any and decided our gulch that runs through town was their last chance to find any before going back home.  The rest is history.  Vigilante, Montana?  Last Chance, Montana?  I kind of like Last Chance. 

Now, what would be a better name for the state?  I love that we are called Big Sky.  But again, that seems to mainly work for the Eastern side of the state while Montana works for the Western side.  What name incorporates both?  Montana was homesteaded by strong people with grit.  However, the people here before have a rich culture of spirit.  Why we have a Spanish name is beyond me.  I looked up a few Cheyenne and Crow words.  They are impossible for me to pronounce.  However, I do like the word Xaxxe which means golden eagle in the Crow language.  These beautiful birds connect both sides of our state.  Or, we love our rivers.  Alasahte means fork in the river.  That is kind of cool too.

So, Last Chance, Xaxxe.  Last Chance, Alasahte.  Hum, I read the words and nothing comes to mind.  I think Helena, Montana will stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...