Thursday, December 6, 2018

Day 52: Rudeness


A bright cozy fire displayed itself in the gas fireplace.  In the corner, a simple Christmas tree stood vigil.  At the various tables, groups of people sat chatting quietly with one another.  At the large group table that sits eight or more, a young lady worked on her laptop.  Soft music played in the background.  The atmosphere promoted a sense of peace.

I sat at a table for four working on my novel.  My friends planned to join me later.  I like to go early to work on my writing.  In my ears, buds softly projected my latest love on Spotify, a gaming and movie list of compositions.  The volume drowned out any potential snippets of conversation pulling me from my work.  The words struggled to get onto the page at the beginning.  After a time, they began to flow from my fingertips.

Booming through my trance, an old gentleman stood by a table with two women, who had been moments earlier having a nice quiet conversation, talking at the top of his voice about young people only feel, they don't think in the classrooms of today.  I thought the idea pertinent and a potential topic for my blog.  I tapped onto my blog file and jotted a couple of notes.  My novel beckoned me back to continue my play. 

The voice banged on.  I tried to block his words from my thoughts.  Instead, the thoughts went negative.  "Oh, my word, this guy needs to shut up, so I can concentrate on my work.  I hear him over my music that is feeding straight into my ears.  Enough already!!!"

I switched to a louder song and pushed my ear buds further into my ear.  Very uncomfortable.  His voice became a muffled roar.  I dove back into my fiction.  I also sighed with relief when about five minutes later he returned to the other side of the wall to his seat, leaving us all in peace.  Happily, I wrote 1,340 words before my Bible study began.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...