Sunday, December 30, 2018

Day 76: Travel Happy


“Travel Happy.”  Doctor Who, 2018 Fall Season



Over the years, I have become a diehard Doctor Who fan.  The last doctor I struggled with because I didn’t care that much for his companions.  I am happy to say that I love the new doctor and her companions. I have heard others don’t like her, my daughter being one of those people.  I happen to think she is bloody brilliant.

While I was watching the last episode earlier this month, I realized that I didn’t have a favorite quote.  Right after I thought the thought, she turns to the people she had helped and said, “Travel happy.” I love it.

Now, really there isn’t much to say about this two-word quote.  Travel happy is a simple thought, but I can’t stop thinking about it.  Why wouldn’t people travel happy? Every time I jump in the vehicle or drive to the airport, I am happy to be on another adventure.  I always travel happy. Doesn’t everyone?

Okay, sure, I get irritated when traveling.  On our trip to Europe this spring, traveling with a child with mental illness wasn't easy.  In fact, at times it was downright horrible.  However, I always was happy to see the new places. I found beauty in the countryside or the culture, so different from our own.  I still traveled happy.

Then I thought of two of my trips to Kalispell, Montana in August of 2016.  I have driven this trip, which usually includes continuing to Libby, hundreds of times.  The first trip, I knew my dad was extremely sick. I wasn’t even sure I would make it to the hospital in time to say my goodbyes.  A definite excuse not to travel happy, but as I drove, I kept his lessons in mind, to always see the beauty in the countryside. I traveled happy, laced with sadness and a little panic.

On the second trip, I knew this would be my last time with Dad.  The doctor had called me home. I had made arrangements with him to do this if Dad’s last procedure didn’t go well.  The doctor’s calm voice over the cell phone strengthened me. I quickly packed and left in my car.

As I drove, I entered a surreal state of being.  I was determined to see all the beauty as I drove north.  On the Helmville road near the end, I saw a deer off to my left.  Her buckskin coat gleamed in the green field with the sun streaming down.  As I turned along the highway that would take me into Big Fork, I saw cranes splashing in the river.  All of this I will remember for life. Even in the depths of sadness, I traveled happy. I knew my dad would want me to always travel this way.  I shared with him what I saw. Even now, I share with him, just not face to face.

Yes, I will always travel happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...