Saturday, December 8, 2018

Day 54: The Blink of an Eye


Write about a time everything changed in the blink of an eye.



At first glance, I came up with quite a list: my health, Jacque’s (my sister-in-law) death, my Dad’s death, Jerry going to Iraq, and mental illness.  Why is it that the first thing that come to mind are bad things?  I should include good things: marriage, birth of my children, graduating from college, joining the military, and meeting certain people.  After 50 years of living, how do I pick just one?  I also started complicating the idea with the thought that some of these experiences we prepared for so the change isn’t really all that quick.  I need to not think so much.

For me, the most profound experience was the death of my dad.  He went into the hospital just before Father’s Day in 2016.  I had no doubts the doctors would get him up and running again.  We had more camping, visiting, and fishing to do.  More long conversations about gardening, life, books, and football.

As the summer progressed, he didn’t get better.  In July and August, he went from bad to worse.  I made two emergency trips home.  The last trip was to say good-bye.  And just like that, my world changed, in the blink of an eye. 

With two years behind me since this life altering experience, that time has grown fuzzy.  I feel like it has been forever since I have seen him.  However, I feel his presence every day.  I miss him every day.  I will never be the same person.  My dad is gone.  How could I be the same person?

Someday, hopefully in the very far future, I will be with him again, in the blink of an eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...