Thursday, December 27, 2018

Day 73: A British Christmas



This year, my husband thought up a twist for our Christmas celebration.  The idea stemmed from two geese.  My son's roommate bagged them earlier in the season.  He gave us the two breasts.  With them in the freezer, the idea of a tradition British meal was born.

The holiday season found me lacking.  I only managed three batches of cookies.  The first traveled to Missoula for the grandchildren.  The second batch went to my daughter's classroom.  The third, shortbread for the British theme, ended up half being baked too long.  Also, my family doesn't like shortbread.  So, going into the dessert phase of the dinner, I wanted a guaranteed winner.  I wasn't going to make Figgie pudding.  Besides, I was hungry for some sticky toffee pudding, a dessert I had in York, England.

Our first course was a shrimp cocktail.  Jerry made fresh horseradish sauce that was incorporated into the fresh cocktail sauce.  Delicious.




The main meal consisted of goose, parsnips, potatoes, a bread dip, and Yorkshire pudding.  I was pleasantly surprised by the parsnips.  I enjoyed them and am thinking of adding them to my garden this spring.  The potatoes, of course, were enjoyable.  They were designed to dip in the bread dip.  The dip tasted fine but was lacking in flavor.  My daughter reminded me British food is bland.  If we were to have this again, garlic would be added.  The goose wasn't my favorite.  I am not a dark meat fan.  The others liked it.  The Yorkshire pudding was wonderful.  They are a popover, which I have always enjoyed them.




The sticky toffee pudding for dessert was amazing.  This is a date cake with toffee syrup.  The process is a bit extensive, but completely worth the work.  I learned a lot about the recipe and will do things a little differently when my sister comes to visit, and I make it for her.  Oh, and I whipped up fresh cream with no sugar.  Yum!




The dinner was a great success in being creative and outside the box for us.  I do agree with my daughter that we don't need to do it again.  I will say that the Yorkshire pudding and toffee pudding will be added to different dinners in the future.  Next year, we are thinking of doing a French Christmas dinner.  (I did do a Norwegian dinner about ten years ago.  Again, a bit bland, but fun.)

 Another enjoyable aspect of Christmas Day, Jerry and I watched the movie "The Man Who Invented Christmas."  This went with our British theme because the story is about Charles Dickens writing of "A Christmas Carol."  I delighted in the movie.  I highly recommend it, especially if you have an artist in the house.  Jerry pointed out how much I resemble Dickens in the creative process, as does Madelle with her artwork.

In the evening, we had friends over for game night.  The best part of the day, mind you.  Stories and laughter filled the house.  We are very blessed and look forward to continued blessings with these four additional family members that have come into our lives in the last twenty years.  This Christmas is so different from the year we celebrated without Jerry.  I definitely prefer to be together and never take it for granted.  Here is to more Christmas' to come. 

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...