Monday, July 8, 2019

Day 262: Military Hair Cut


Recall a memorable hair cut or hairstyle you have had, given, or witnessed.



Oh, this is easy!!!  Hands down my most memorable hair cut happened the summer of 1990 in New Jersey.  Yes, you read right, New Jersey.  Man, was I ever young.  I was twenty-one years old and at BASIC training for the Army.  Every day for a couple of weeks, we wore our kevlar helmet out in the heat.  Now these bad boys are heavy and hot.  My hair at the time was long.  I pulled it back into a bun with a crap ton of bobby pins.  That kevlar dug the pins into my scalp.  Headaches plagued me.  Finally, we spent time at the Commissary.  I went to get my hair cut.  They couldn’t have done worse if they had used a blunt butcher knife.  My poor hair was uneven and ugly.  I called my husband and cried.

“I look like a boy.”  I felt foolish crying about something so trivial, but it was horrible.  And I must confess, I was also very homesick.

I was horrified, but I no longer had headaches.  Mission accomplished.  When I came home, I had to cut it even shorter for the choppiness of the hair to be evened up.  Worst hairstyle ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...