Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Day 256: Publishing


Since 2014, I have published ten items on kindle.  Five of those items can also be purchased on Amazon as a paper copy book.  Well, four and the fifth will hopefully pass review in the next few hours or so.  The journey of publishing as been harrowing.  Sure, nothing like being lost in the woods for days on end battling a bear or mountain lion, but vexing just the same.

In May, my family and I went to the comic convention in Missoula.  I brought the daughter and her friend home a day early because the friend was flying out in the morning.  My husband decided to stay the extra day on his own.  In the evening, he met two people from the writing side of the convention: a writer and a book cover designer.  Neither of them had really anything good to say about the covers of my books.  I, of course, became upset.

Now, I don't believe my book covers are the best in the world.  I know my books are lacking in salability.  I am not selling.  I am frustrated.  So, sure, I know they can be better.  But how?  How do I make them better?  I don't have any education in marketing or computer design stuff.  The husband decided we needed to invest in the books, one at a time.  This designer he met offered to do a cover for me at $300.  Really, not bad.  When I looked into a professional cover, I was quoted 2,000 to 5,000 dollars.  Well, this woman, with nothing great to say about my covers, hasn't even had the courtesy to email us back.  Gurr!!!

Needless to say, going into this current book cover, I have been hesitant.  I looked at current books published.  My old covers are too 1990's.  Valid point.  I looked at Robert Jordan's books while I was doing them.  Thus, I do think I did better with this current cover.  I also did better on the sales pitch on the back cover and as the description on Amazon.  I am hoping this book will sale better.  We will see.  Later this year, I will work at rebranding the first series once I get the last book published.  Yes, while still writing the books for the challenge I am doing.  By this time next year, I hope to have twelve books published in total.  Yep, I am trying to get more accomplished.  We will see how it goes.

The other thing I want to mention about publishing that frustrates me to know end is that the programs keep changing.  In between every book I publish, something big happens.  Last time, Create Space sold out to Amazon.  This time, InDesign had a new version that looks different.  I have to learn the new stuff, and I am not liking it as much.  Also, Dreamstime changed the way they do business.  I don't like it.  Sure, the artwork is cheaper for me, but that means the artists aren't making as much money.  Wrong!!!  I might work at finding a different place for art.

I also frustrate myself.  I try to organize all my notes, but six months to a year after I have done the publishing, I can't find my blasted notes.  Then I have to go in search of answers all over again.  The latest issue is hyperlinks.  I don't remember how to do them, and I have lost my notes.  I will work on this in the fall when life slows down.  Gurr.  I just don't have enough hours in the day.

The most important part of the publishing is the support.  I want to thank all of you who comment and put up the likes, loves, and wows on facebook.  Some days I come into my writing room wondering why I keep putting myself through all of this.  It surely isn't for the money at this point.  If I didn't have your support, sitting in the chair would be much harder.  So thank you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...