Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Day 257: Catering


The other day I wrote about something new in my life.  Well, another thing, even bigger, is happening in my husband’s life.  He is starting a catering business, Poor Richard’s BBQ.  I am very excited for him.  He had dreamed of this most, if not all, of his life. The last few weeks have been a whirlwind.

Three weeks ago, he competed with his barbecue in Miles City.  Our son went with him to help.  The weekend ended being a disappointment in the competition, but he learned a lot.  He also spent time with the son, which is always a good thing.

The next weekend, he competed in Absorkee.  This time, Madelle and I traveled down as well.  Madelle helped him with the majority of the work.  I must confess, I goofed around with my sister.  During the weekend, Madelle and Jerry meshed as an amazing team.  I came in at the end to help a little, but they were the rock stars. They placed 10th in their ribs and 12th in their brisket, out of 29 teams.  They have work to do, but they will get there.

Last weekend, Jerry and Madelle worked a rehearsal dinner for a couple getting married.  I learned a lot with this event.  I learned these two make a great team, and I am not all that needed.  Sure, I ran to the store if something was used up or forgotten.  I also helped clean and pack up because they were getting tired.  But the two of them again rocked it.  I am very proud of them.

The one negative to come of the three weekend stint is my house.  They had to bring everything in the house until the next event.  Disaster.  By week three, I was getting a bit grumpy.  I can’t live in that kind of chaos for that long.  After the Fourth, we need to work on reorganizing and cleaning the garage.  We need a spot that is specifically set up with shelves to store all the gear.  Once this is done, the house should do much better.

As a couple, I am very proud of us.  My dream is to write books.  Jerry’s dream is to build a restaurant, starting with catering first.  We are both well on our way.  Even better, we are supporting each other.  He reads my books and helps me with the computer and other tasks.  I help him with tasting the food, running errands, and a little bit of cleaning and packing.  Thirty-one years ago, I wouldn’t have seen us here, but we are.  It is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...