Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Day 299: Cell Phones


Should kids be allowed to have personal cell phones and tablets in school?



A million years ago, I taught English in Hardin, Montana.  Cell phones were not a part of life back in the late 1990’s.  I know at that time, I would have been dead set against phones in the room.  I didn’t even have a phone to call the office.  When kids started getting phones, I still would have been against them in the classroom.  I didn’t even let my boys have a phone until around sixteen or seventeen.  Yep, I was that kind of mom.

I use my phone a lot to answer questions in my research as I write when I am not in front of my computer.  Having access to the internet is huge for me with my phone.  I think phones are a great tool.  With that said, they are also a great distraction.  Of course, kids have been finding distractions and ways to cheat since the beginning of time.  I believe phones in school is up the administration and/or the teacher.  As a parent, I will support their decision.  I have heard rumor that my daughter’s school is going phone free.  I say great.  However, if they don’t, I am okay with that as well.  I won’t be okay if I hear complaints about my daughter abusing policy.  I don’t think I will have to worry about it, but if I do, the phone will remain with me, and the school won’t have to worry at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...