Monday, February 4, 2019

Day 112: Counting Blessings


We should count our blessings, not our burdens.



Yesterday’s post was a bit glum.  On my daily desk calendar, the above quote greeted me.  I so agree. Most nights, when I don’t fall asleep exhausted, I count out ten things to be thankful for throughout the day.  So, here are my ten things for yesterday.

1.         I woke up!!!  Really, this is probably a silly thing and easy to count, but I am truly happy to wake up in the morning.  Mornings are my favorite time of day.

2.         Coffee:  Every morning I wake up and the first thing I do is make coffee.  This helps me wake up enough to function.  And the taste, oh, I do love my coffee.

3          Madelle went to Mass with us.  I don’t remember the last time she went.  Our church is packed and her social anxiety kept her from attending.  As she has grown stronger, she has missed Mass.  Yesterday was her first time back, and I am so thankful.

4.         4 wheel drive.  We were dumped on by a lot of snow.  The snowplows weren’t running all that much.  The snow kept dumping.  Our pickups took us to church, work, and the football party safely.

5.         Clay made it home in the morning safely from Bozeman.  I had forgotten he was coming home, so his parked car in front of the house was a surprise.

6.         Clay and I found a suit for his trip to D.C. later this month.  I saved over $200 on everything.  Yay!!!

7.         Clay made it home to Bozeman safely.  The kid gives me gray hair!!!  He forgot to call me when he made it.  But what a blessing he is safe.

8.         Our wonderful church family.  The Hogans treated Madelle like she had never been away from church.  Madelle and Brittany chatted.  I love their relationship.  Toni was more excited then all of us that Madelle was at church.  We are so fortunate Madelle has this amazing adopted Grandma.

9.         My pain sat in the background most of the day.  I was able to perform my cleaning duties at my job.  I am always thankful to accomplish this mission.

10.       I played with words for a little over two hours.  I was worried I wouldn’t get the time in due to all the things going on during the day.  My short story is still not taking off, but I kept working.

I could come up with more: seeing deer at the fort, Deacon Steve’s homily, the violin player at Mass, and so many more blessings.  Yes, I have the burden of chronic pain.  Some hours in the day it may get the best of me, but not for long. God has given me so many wonderful people, events, and beauty around me to not be able to count my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...