Saturday, February 16, 2019

Day 124: No Driving


Write about a time you said no.



Three times in my military career, I said no.  The first time was on a hot day at the end of our two-week summer camp.  We were outside of Boise, Idaho at Gowan Field.  The trouble started the day we left for Idaho.  My co driver informed me she didn’t have a Montana driver’s license. She had never driven in her life.  I notified my chain of command numerous times, and I was ignored.  What a long trip to Idaho!!!

I needed a break from driving, so I thought I would give her a chance.  She almost drove the ambulance off the highway going into Dillon.  Later, she almost rear ended the ambulance in front of us as we pulled off the interstate.  One of the other ambulance drivers’ and I came up with a plan. Three of us would rotate driving the two vehicles.  The plan worked, and she never touched the steering wheel again.

When the rest of the company arrived from the airport, I let the chain of command hear all over again the issue, along with the story of two potential wrecks.  They said it would get fixed.  Right, and I made enough money on that AT to put me through school for a whole year.  Get real!

After nothing was said about a new co driver, I went to my platoon sergeant and told him I would no longer be an ambulance driver.  I was taking the plane home.  He said I had to drive because there were no other drivers.  I told him, no.  I was sure there were quite a few people on the plane home who had a Montana driver’s license.  He wasn’t happy with me.  I didn’t care.

In the end, I did drive the ambulance home.  But I still won.  My platoon sergeant had to give up his seat on the plane to the girl who didn’t know how to drive.  He and I had a nice long drive together, and I didn’t fear for my life when he took his turn to drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...