Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Day 229: Offensive Word


What is the most offensive thing you have ever heard anyone say?



Really, I try to get rid of all those memories.  I know a few close people in my life have said some terrible things to me, but I let it go.  I try to forgive and forget.  I might have the words in my morning pages somewhere, but again, I haven’t committed anything to memory.  So, I will talk about a time that my grandfather shocked me.

I don’t even remember what started the conversation, but he used the word “nigger” a couple of times in a few short sentences.  I was horrified.  My husband saw the look on my face.  He changed the subject.  Now, I have no idea if my grandfather was prejudiced.  The way he used the word and in the context of everything, he wasn’t saying anything bad about the race.  He used the word like I would use African American; at the time, he was in his eighties.  He was from the generation that the word use was excepted in his younger years.  Still, I was not happy hearing the term.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...