Thursday, January 10, 2019

Day 87: Campfires


Write about a memory you have related to a campfire.



Wow, really there are so many.  We camped a lot when I was a little girl.  We went with the Butts family so many weekends that I couldn’t even begin to count.  Also in the winter, all of us would go to one of the lakes to ice fish. The dads always built a nice toasty fire for us kids to warm up by when we rested from playing.  At least once a year, Grandma and Grandpa Hedahl came to Lincoln County to fish on Lake Koocanusa. Actually, the fire wasn’t half as spectacular as watching the stars and satellites with Grandpa.

I don’t do many campfires anymore.  We do at least one in the backyard every year.  Our neighbors do quite a few and they invite us over for the evening.  I miss them. I always vow to do more throughout the warm season and find when the snow falls that I have failed at my vow.

My  most memorable fires aren’t technically campfires.  The best were bonfires. The difference? The size.  Every fall for Homecoming, truck loads of scrap wood would be piled up in the baseball field.  On the Thursday night before the big game, they lit the fire and us kids would have a good time cheering and carrying on.  One year, I went to two Homecoming fires. We had moved from Eureka to Libby my freshman year. Senior year, I went to both. 

I was a little disappointed when I realized they don’t have bonfires in Helena.  My kids never had the experience. Well, not as a school function. They went to the lake and carried the tradition on with their friends.  I am sure there are stories with that I don’t want to hear.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...