Sunday, January 6, 2019

Day 83: Making the Bed


What do you do, even when you do not feel like it?



I make the bed. 

When I retired, I left work and the military because of medical issues.  I was taking every Wednesday off a week to be able to work at least the other four days.  I only attended on kid function a week.  Most days, I came straight home and went to bed.  I was so relieved to be able to stop working. 

The first year, I labored with my doctor to become pain free.  I read a book on pain management which taught me to do small tasks and choose a task to help me feel successful.  I took my daughter to school and came back home to bed.  In the afternoon, I would get up and make the bed.  I hated not working and providing for the family.  I hated being close to bedridden.  I was determined to do one productive thing every day and that was make the bed.  Granted, on my bad days that didn’t get done.

I have never conquered my health enough to become pain free.  In fact this last year wasn’t great.  I spent a lot of time not doing housework, writing, or gardening.  My house was getting completely out of control.  But, I still made the bed everyday. 

Now, I am feeling better.  The last couple of nights I have woken up in pain.  The result is exhaustion the next day.  I am thankful though because I am managing to get a few things done each day.  The house is looking better.  I am de-cluttering as I clean and I feel so much better.  I am working at resting.

I will say that my attitude has changed a bit.  When I have a super good day, I don’t get make the bed.  This is because I have been too busy goofing around in the yard or out and about.  It bugs me though. I have learned to love crawling into a nicely made bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...