Monday, October 28, 2019

Coaching - Part 1


During my Wednesday night women’s group, a quote caught my attention in the Matthew Kelly book “Resisting Happiness.”  His father told him to listen to the coach every time he went to his games.  One day, he added this to the conversation, “... nobody achieves excellence at anything without coaching.”

Of course, Matthew talked about how people as Christians need coaches, spiritual coaches.  I am so happy to say that I have a lot of people in my life that help me along the journey of holiness.  My women’s group that meets every week encourages and advises.  I have many other strong Christians in my life, including my priest and deacon at my parish.  However, I could be doing more?

I have heard people talk about going to a Spiritual Director.  I have thought about looking into this, but my life seems so very busy.  I am sure we have some amazing people in town that could work with me.  Any of the priests or deacons probably do this type of work.  I would think we have a couple of nuns in the area too.  But, I go back to the time.

Of course, another area where I could be coached is in reconciliation.  Yep, confession.  Oh, that is always scary, and do I ever resist it.  I make the excuse that I grew up Protestant.  We confessed directly to God and were forgiven.  That was enough.  Well, it was then.  But I have been to confession a number of times.  Never has the experience been bad.  I have always had something to think about.  And all but one issue of mine was handled perfectly.  I need to go more often.

So, going forward, I am thinking about spiritual coaching a little bit more, along with confession.  I would love to say that I am going to be active in the process.  Time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...