Thursday, October 4, 2018

Reaction to Failure


"Reaction to failure makes your success."  Dean Wesley Smith has been talking about this quote from Adam Levine on The Voice a couple of times in the last month.  A girl failed last season with no judges turning around.  They invited her back.  She went home and worked like crazy.  This season she returned and turned two chairs.  Most of the contestants are invited back.  Most don't take the opportunity.  Instead, they quit.  I don't get why, but then Dean hit me with a statement.

"Sometimes they (authors) write and publish a dozen indie books and get almost no sales and quit."

I have five short stories and three books up on Amazon Kindle.  The novels in paperback can also be bought on Amazon.  I have had no sales since about January.  None!  Notta!!!  In eight more years, I hope to have twelve for sale.  How am I going to feel if I am still not selling?  Will I quit?  I honestly don't know.  The thought is definitely disheartening. 

I spend a lot of time on this "career" of mine that is more of a hobby at this point.  Last year, I threw a little money at classes.  This fall I am throwing a bunch of money at a big class that I am traveling to.  Next year, I probably need to throw a lot of money towards marketing.  But when is the time and money being wasted?  I have no idea.

What do I know?  Writing is fulfilling.  Every morning I have a list of tasks that keep my mind busy.  I delight in the work.  Lately, I have been reading my series to help with the last book to make sure all the loose strings are tied together for my readers.  I have loved my books as a reader.  What fun to see my words create a unique country and rich characters. 

I have three more fantasy series percolating in my head, a historical saga, and four standalone novels crying to be set free.  I think I can safely say that is a total of eighteen more novels, maybe more.  And I know I could generate even more stories if I let the muse have fun.  If I continue at my current speed, that will take me eighteen more years, though I hope to take that down to ten. 

Yes, I want to make money.  At some point, I may have to write less to earn money for marketing or life in general.  Anything is possible.  However, I will never stop writing.  And if I am still writing, why wouldn't I just publish.  Of course, my health could end up being a factor, but I won't consider that a failure.  That will be a life event that is out of my control.

My reaction to failure?  I will just keep writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...