Friday, October 26, 2018

Day Eleven: 2018 Master Business Class



For years, I have wanted to attend an in person class with Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch.  The time and money were always a factor, specifically the time.  As a mom, I find it hard to leave my kiddo.  Time with her is my top priority.  This year, Jerry said I just needed to go.  I am so glad I did.  I have never learned so much in my life in such a short amount of time with the possible exception of medical school at Fort Sam Houston.  I am still overwhelmed.

The class was for writers.  We discussed our Intellectual Properties (IP).  Selling our IPs to publishers and Hollywood.  Leaving our IPs to heirs and needing a Trust for them.  We talked about marketing in all types of markets: table games, Audible, digital, and paper.  The list goes on and on.  I wrote over 50 pages of notes.  Some sessions, I just sat back and listened.  Yes, I plan to go back next year.

The one bit of advise they kept reiterating is that we can't do everything that was discussed in the workshops.  I am thankful they kept saying that or I would be so overwhelmed.  Even without doing everything, my list is huge!!!

This is what I will work on through December and beyond.

1. Write: Finish Pursuing Peace.

2. Discoverability: Take class and build my website for Lisa Nixon Richard.

3. Sales:  Take the sales copy class.

4. Branding: Commission a drawing of a falcon.

5. Sales:  Christmas Fair at the Ranch and December farmers market?

6. IP:  Register License of Novels.

7. Finances:  Visit with Adam about Trusts, Lawyers, Accountants, and C-Corps.



January - December

1. Write:  Send out manuscript to readers and editor.  Start with a short story!

2. Sales:  Rework sales copy, book cover, links on digital, teaser content…

3. Sales:  Helena release party in May.

4. Sales:  Newsletters and mailing lists.

5. Write:  Write first book in the Kirzantra series!!!

6. Education:  Take short story class.

7. Write:  Short stories!!!

8. Sales:  Touch base with Tom for cover art.

Believe it or not, I have left off a ton of other things.  I haven't even touched marketing, social media, and distribution. Uff da!!!

At one point, I began to panic.  How is one person supposed to do it all?  They can't!  However, I am so busy running my daughter around, and I feel I am always going to appointments.  How do I find time for even half of it?  I called home in a bit of a panic.  My dear husband announced that he is taking over picking the daughter up from school.  Some may think this is a small time, but it is huge.  I am so very thankful.  I think I am also going to hire a housekeeper during the school year.  I feel it is a luxury and a bit ridiculous, but my health demands that I rest.  If I want to do more writing hours, things have to adjust.  So, adjust I will.
My writing business will look much different when I attend next year.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...