Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Day Two: Frankfurt



Finally, I come to the end of my vacation this past spring break six months ago.  My word have I ever been behind in everything in my life.  I am always amazed at how much the autoimmune disease can slow my life down.  But that is a topic for another day.

Our last day in Germany, our family and my dear cousin's family were all packed and out the door in the morning.  We drove to the train in Kaiserslautern.  What a crazy experience for my poor husband.  Dropping the rental car off was a nightmare.  Todd had to pick him up because it was taking forever.  The two of them almost missed the train.  They jumped on at the last second into a different car then the one we were on.  The train was packed.  We stood for an hour as we rumbled over the countryside.  The second half of the trip we switched trains and were in first class.  Oh, so much better.

After dropping the kids and luggage off at the hotel in the airport, so convenient, the four of us went into Frankfurt.  This was the first time we as couples were able to spend time together.  Usually when Holly and I get together either Todd or Jerry or both are serving our country on a military trip on one sort or other.  I loved the four of hanging out together.  In ways, this was the very best part of the trip.

We walked from the train station to the Frankfurt Cathedral.  I enjoyed the sights and sounds of the city.  I snapped pictures with my phone camera.  I was a little tired of dragging my Canon around. 











The Cathedral was snuggled in among a lot of buildings.  Once inside, I was amazed by a picture a gentleman pointed out.  During WWII every building around the Cathedral had been bombed.  The Cathedral wasn't touched.  Amazing.





Across from the picture, a large piece of art hung.  In the churches and cathedrals I have visited I don't recall ever seeing a depiction of the Assumption of Mary.  This piece took my breath away.  Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit are welcoming Mary into Heaven.  So very beautiful.




A lot of my photos didn't turn out, but some were amazing.  I loved seeing the picture of the Divine Mercy.  We were studying that in my Bible study group.  The old Bibles were also amazing.









Once we finished at the Cathedral, we had an amazing dinner.  I had this black pepper sauce with spaetzle and pork.  Yum!!!

We were reminded of our grandpa, Alton.  

 

The next morning, we flew home.  Germany, I do want to visit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...