Saturday, October 27, 2018

Day Twelve: Spoken Up


  As a little girl, my self esteem took years to grow in a school setting.  Being an only child until age nine, I never developed skills in socializing with my peers.  Sure, we had family friends with children.  Mary was three years older then me.  Her cousin Darren that would come to visit was a year younger then me.  Susan was a couple years younger then me and Keith was a year younger.  My friends I always wanted to play with lived in the neighborhood: Shirley, Dale, and Lynn.  Even with all of them, I didn't get to see them often.  When I did, I was very quiet because children were to be seen not heard.  Thus, when I went to school, all the children and their different behaviors overwhelmed me.  I was the awkward little duckling.

  One day, in front of the old Roosevelt School, a group of us played.  I always worried about playing there.  I must have been in first or second grade and believed the ghost stories.  I would look up to the top floor windows expecting to see a ghost child.  Years later, in fifth grade, they opened the second floor for our class.  I still had a solid respect for the possibility of any spirits that may still be around, living on the third floor.

  As we played, a girl come over.  She was special needs.  The kids I was with circled her and began making fun of her.  They called her retarded and such.  Fear and shame spread through me.  I didn't know what to do.  Though I stood outside the circle and watched, I knew we were wrong.  I was wrong.  If the ghosts were watching and judging, I knew Jesus wasn't smiling down on me.

  After a few minutes, I tried to convince people to stop.  No one heard my voice.  I walked away.  That didn't make me feel any better.  I tried to convince myself I wasn't bad because I didn't call her a name.  Deep down, I felt guilt for not trying to stop the episode.  I would like to say in the future I stood up for people.  Sure I did at times, I did for her.  That moment did change me.  However, I didn't stand up for everyone in my path.  I let fear step in my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...