Sunday, October 28, 2018

Day Thirteen: Bravely Baring the Past


Stillwater River

Yesterday, one of my readers suggested I write a blog post about bravery, "how it feels to bravely bare your past."  For twenty-four or so hours, I have been thinking about the topic.  In her words, she was saying that I am brave for sharing my life with my readers.  Now, I do have a confession.  The reader is not an ordinary reader who has stumbled upon my blog.  No, she is a beautiful woman who came into my life in first grade.  She knew me as the little girl in the story yesterday.  This woman is my aunt.  And I do think she is a bit biased.

I struggle with giving myself credit, so I laughed when I read her suggestion.  I am not brave.  I just like to tells stories and talk about myself.  Really, I think the word is egotistical.  However, I have always respected my aunt.  Shouldn't I respect her thoughts about me?  I still can't wrap my head around me being brave.  Soldiers who go into battle are brave.  Teenagers who make it through mental illness are brave.  I just tell stories.

I looked up the word bravery in the dictionary: "brave of spirit or conduct; courage; valor."  The second definition caught my eye.  "Showiness; splendor; magnificence."  All definitions come from dictionary.com.  I laughed when I saw showiness.  Yep, that fits.  I keep getting reprimanded by family and friends because I don't give myself enough credit.  At Mass this morning, a friend corrected me when I said I am not where I should be in my writing.  She is right.  I do need to look at my writing differently.

So, back to the original statement in question form, how does it feel to bravely bare your past?  Truly, I am an open book.  The first day I met my son's best friend's mom at a soccer game, I practically told her my life story.  She is more reserved and wondered if I was right in the head.  Luckily she gave me a chance.  She is one of my closest friends now and has seen the good, bad, and ugly in me.  Thus, baring my past is second nature to me.  I don't find it hard at all.  Granted, I do keep some topics off the Internet.  I haven't talked about my battle with food.  I haven't talked about some of the unhealthy relationships in my life.  So, am I really brave?

As I was vacuuming the office today, I thought about how I don't care what people think of me.  To be brave, you have to fear something.  I don't fear my readers judgment. 

In 2004 and 2005, some of my close friends judged the way I handled my husband's deployment to Iraq.  I won't go into the details for this post, but my life was hell for a couple of months while I listened and cared about what they thought of me.  I finally decided they were toxic and I stepped away.

Throughout my adult life, I have been judged by a few close family members.  Again, I won't go into this for this post and maybe never.  I will always hope for better relationships with them.  I try to be sensitive and not talk bad about people on my blog.  But suffice it to say, their judgment cut through my chest, straight into my heart, but I am still standing with my head held high.  Their judgment didn't destroy me.  Thus, I have no fear of other people's judgment.

I don't feel brave when I bare my past.  I will let my readers decide if I have courage.  I do feel blessed to bare my past.  I have a love of writing and a vehicle to spread my words, stories.  I would love to be able to say I teach people, give them food for thought, or brighten their day, touch their day in one form or another.  I will continue to bare my past, brave or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...