Monday, October 15, 2018

Saint Paul the Evangelist Catholic Church



Friday evening, I took a drive down Highway 69 that connects Boulder, Montana to Whitehall, Montana.  The road travels alongside the Boulder River.  I have taken the road a couple of times.  The drive is beautiful anytime of year, but I especially love to drive it in the fall with all the beautiful colors.  This year was a bit late in the season but still gorgeous. 

I love old churches.  On this trip, I was early to meet my sister at the football field, so as I saw the church down the road, I realized I had plenty of time to stop.  Two cars had stopped ahead of me.  I am always nervous traveling by myself and stopping in remote areas.  I debated on driving by as I slowed down when I saw a woman with a camera.  I pulled in feeling safer, but the two vehicles blocked the road to the church.  They were taking their pictures from a distance.  I wanted to get close.  I waited as both occupants climbed into their vehicles to continue their trip.  They had Iowa license plates and were enjoying my state.


After driving down to the church, I enjoyed snapping pictures.  This has been my first artist date in months.  I need to do this more often, but I get so busy with the day to day tasks.  I breathed in the crisp autumn air and prayed as I wandered the area.


Saint John the Evangelist Catholic Church was built in the Boulder Valley from 1880 to 1881 by Irish settlers.  The church remains one of the oldest churches in Montana where the original structure remains standing.  The church has been well kept.  I wonder if there are still services from time to time.  I think it would be fun to attend one. 


As I walked around a little, I realized a specialized rock had been laid down on the ground.  I took a picture.  I couldn't resist picking up a rock.  They are beautiful.  I would love to take one home, but something felt wrong about doing this.  Instead, I said a prayer for my cousin who will be leaving us soon.  I placed the rock at the feet of Mary and the baby Jesus, so they could watch over her.






The valley asked to be photographed.  The sky was especially cooperative.  Once I finished, I traveled the last fifteen or so miles to Whitehall.  The game was a success with a Columbus win.  Soon the snow will be falling and staying for the winter.  I am glad I got out at least once to enjoy the spectacular colors of fall under the Big Sky.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...