Monday, November 25, 2019

Two Thieves


For the past couple of weeks, I have been reading a book entitled "When To Walk Away" by Gary Thomas.  The book is about finding freedom from toxic people.  I have enjoyed the book immensely.  The author is a pastor and uses scripture to help understand ways to cope or ways to, yep, walk away.

From the beginning, I was amazed at realizing Jesus walked away from toxic people.  He said his piece, and if they didn't want to believe, he let them go.  He didn't stick around and argue, plead, or try to change their mind.  Fascinating.  So often, we want to "save" toxic people.  The thing is that they can't be saved by anyone other than themselves and/or God.  And Jesus doesn't go down the rabbit hole of trying to fix them.  I find this so freeing.

Yesterday, I was listening to the reading of the Gospel.  Jesus was on the cross with the two criminals also being crucified.  One of the criminals mocked Jesus.  The other one spoke up for Jesus, realizing who Jesus was.  He also admitted his guilt.  He asked Jesus to remember him.  Jesus told the humbled criminal that he will be in paradise after he dies.  Jesus doesn't talk to the toxic criminal.  He doesn't beg him to repent.  Jesus knows the guy is too far gone and will only continue to be toxic.

I love when what I am studying shows up around me, like in the Mass.  God is so good to me.  Now, I see that there is nothing to be done with toxic people except to pray for them.  Be kind in social situations.  If they repent and work on change, be there to encourage, but always remember, they have to do the work and want it for themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...