Monday, November 11, 2019

Tourist vs. Pilgrim


I love to travel.  The other day, I was a little restless.  I wanted to go out of town. The funny part is that I had just come home the week prior after a week in the big city of Las Vegas for a conference.  I jumped in my pickup and drove down the highway and up the pass.  I wanted to look down on the valley near the top of the mountain.  I only stayed for a couple of minutes, but I came down off the mountain settled.

As a traveler, I do enjoy being a tourist.  I love seeing new things: cathedrals, churches, museums, battlefields, cultural items, you name it, I love to see it.  However, I am not necessarily one to run, run, run, to see everything all in one trip.  I like to saver the things I visit.  Thus, I think I would like to start approaching my travels more as a combination of tourist and pilgrim. But what is the difference?

I want to take my time in a place.  When I went to the York Minster, I was very disappointed that I had to make a choice between a tour of the magnificent church or the Stations of the Cross.  Instead, I would have chosen to do the stations and then go to the next tour.  Unfortunately, we were on a tight schedule.  I was able to pray, but I missed the bigger prayer of Jesus’ journey to the Cross.

During my time in Vegas, I wanted to make the trip more of a pilgrimage then just a business trip.  There is a church close to where I was staying.  I wanted to attend Mass.  Unfortunately, my hip was in a great amount of pain.  I wasn’t comfortable walking to the church by myself.  Maybe the next time I go.

Matthew Kelly talks about the difference between being a tourist and a pilgrim.  I thought it interesting that a tourist expects to have a perfect trip.  They want everything to go exactly as planned in customer service and getting everything crossed off their list.  I don’t like that type of attitude.  I like to find the grace in even the things that don’t go as planned.  To stop and pray.  To be where God wants me, not where I want to be.

The trip I took to Maui is a prime example.  Sure, I wanted to do a lot more beach time and wandering, but my daughter just didn't have that in her for this trip.  Instead of ranting and raving, I relaxed.  I did more writing.  I spent time outside on my deck enjoying the warm air.  I walked along the beach by myself.  I took fun photos.  I communed with God in the glory of such a beautiful place.  Yes, I like being a pilgrim.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...