Friday, November 22, 2019

Sustainability


Everyday I read or watch something that another author discusses about our craft.  The other day the topic of sustainability came up in a talk.  I have been thinking about the concept ever since.  What can I sustain?  Have I bitten off a little too much this past year?

I keep a chart of the total words I have written per year, per month for the last six years.  Yes, I love numbers and spreadsheets.  I have wanted consistency, but every year my totals tank in March and pick back up in October.  Yep, the garden months kill me.  For whatever reason, this year I have been consistent.  Every month, I have written 20,000 words or more with the exception of July where I wrote 16,000 and August caught back up with 26,000.  I have had a stellar year.

I have been able to sustain this pace for ten months, but for whatever reason, I find myself slipping.  I am 5,000 words behind so far this month.  I still have Thanksgiving to distract me which I look at my 10,000 words and wonder if I will get even more behind.  I am feeling tired and drained.  I don't know that I can keep up at this pace, but I have to.  I really want to win this challenge I am doing.  I have until the end of April.  I need another 110,000 to win.  My new theme, just keep writing.  Dare to be bad.  I have a whole list.  I can't slow down yet.  I need to just keep looking towards May.  No, I need to just look at today.  Today, I will write 2,000 words even if they suck!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...