Monday, December 9, 2019

Sadducees and Pharisees


For the last couple of years, I have read a lot of books by Matthew Kelly, so I am not surprised when I hear his voice in the back of my head almost daily.  When the lector began the first reading, I heard Matthew.  "Don't forget to bring one thing away from Mass."  I started listening with purpose.  Of course, my attention faded in and out until Father talked about the Sadducees.

I have been fascinated by the Sadducees since I was a little girl, "they were sad you see."  I think of this every time I hear of them.  Today, Father talked about the differences between them and the Pharisees.  The first group only took lessons from the Tora and didn't believe in eternal life.  In essence they were conservative.  The Pharisees looked at the entire Old Testament and believed in life after death.  They were liberal in comparison to the Sadducees.  This is simplistic, but the general idea.  Then Father connected it to today.  We as humans haven't changed much.

As we head into the elections which will be heating up soon, I am amazed at the message I keep hearing.  We need to be kind and Christ-like.  We each have our leanings in our church beliefs and politics.  I am a "liberal" Catholic, but I am also conservative in other areas of my life.  This can get me into a little trouble at times.  The thing is that I really do appreciate most of my friends on the other side of the aisle.  We need to all remember the goodness in each other and speak accordingly.  My daily calendar on my desk puts it better than I ever could, and I will end the post with them.



May all of our words be a blessing every day.



Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.

PSALM 141:3 NIV




No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...