Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Part 1: Oh, Galveston




Many years ago, I learned about Galveston.  As a kid, I remember learning of the storms that swept over the gulf coast town.  I remember the song by Glen Campbell.  Before bucket lists were the thing, I wanted to see the Gulf of Mexico and go to Galveston.

Earlier in the fall, Jerry and I decided too much time had passed since we had gone to a football game together.  Madelle was planning to stay with her brother in Belgrade over most of the Christmas break, so we decided to go for a trip.  After looking at the schedule, we decided to take in a game in Houston.

No, neither of our teams were playing the Texans.  When I retired from the military, I told my husband I thought it would be fun for us to watch a game at every stadium.  I knew that while we were still raising kids and he was still working, the task wouldn't happen anytime soon.  I still don't see us getting aggressive with my retirement challenge, but this year we wanted to tick off one more stadium.  The 9ers were playing in Seattle.  We have been to that stadium, so it didn't work.  The Steelers were playing Baltimore in Baltimore.  No go.  We will go to Baltimore when it isn't a rival game.  Besides, I wanted to go somewhere warm.  This is why we went to a Houston, Tennessee game.

While we were planning, I looked at the map and saw that Galveston was only an hour drive from Houston.  I told Jerry we should drive over for a day.  He instead book us a room for a two night stay.  He is so awesome.  My bucket list item is now marked off!

I enjoyed Galveston.  Someday, I may go back.  I didn't get to walk the beach every morning.  With my bad hip, I saved most of my walking for tourist sites.  Someday, I may go back to the area.  But I did get a little beach time.  Friday morning after breakfast, I put my toes in the water.  We walked a short distance picking up little seashells.  The difference with this beach that I have never experienced anywhere else was the amount of broken shells.  With every step we took, we heard the crunch of them breaking further.  I felt like we walked on glass.  I was amazed.









I almost forgot.  Jerry has this horrible trait where when he goes to Texas bad weather follows him.  I took this picture when we pulled into the hotel.





I took this picture as soon as I got into the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...