Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Houston Museum of Natrual Science








For me, the best part of living in a big city would be the museums.  Okay, I would also love the prospect of zoos as well.  These are my favorite places to visit on my travels.  Even in our small state, I love to go to our museum in Bozeman to see the cool traveling displays that we are so fortunate to visit the state.  And our tiny zoo in Billings, I love to go for walks there when I have time.  So, when we travel, we try to make time for going to museums and such.  In Houston, we made it to the museum but unfortunately not to the zoo.  This just means we need to go back someday.

Now, I have to admit that I do get tired of dinosaurs.  With my aching hip, I wasn't excited to go to Houston's Natural History Museum.  I thought I would go to a section, wander a bit, and sit while Jerry took in the sights.  I was so excited when we walked into one of their traveling displays.  The Gerd Dreher, Life in Stone exhibit took my breath away.  My artist date started right there.  I only took pictures of my favorites.  But, I know they will show up in a novel one day.  In fact, I know exactly which series that I will have an artist like Gerd show up.  I am pretty excited.  Though he is the one showcased, his family is five generations strong doing this work.  Amazing.  Out of curiosity, I went out on the internet to see about buying a piece.  Nope, I am not rich.  Maybe someday.







Next we wondered through the space stuff.  I loved the wheel of the rover.  Jerry loved this section.  I was hurting.  We took a break and watched a planetarium show about black holes.  I enjoyed the rest.  However, with the five miles of walking on a bad hip the day before, I was getting done with the museum.  I found a comfy bench and watched people as Jerry delighting in walking around the dinosaur section.








My bench sat across from a Jurassic tree exhibit.  Another artist date type experience.  I snapped a few pictures and will work this somehow into a different series I have in mind in a few years.  I would love a table made of this wood.  Beautiful.





As we thought about leaving, we stumbled across and Egyptian exhibit.  I love them as well.  Jerry was so gracious and offered for us to just leave, but he loves this stuff.  I told him to enjoy as I made my way through and we would meet at the end.  He followed me, so I stopped at a few of the benches.  Someday, I would love to do a study of Ancient Egyptian History and then go to a bunch of museums.  They were a fascinating people.  All in all, the day was a delight.  I would have loved to go to the zoo, but I was unfortunately done for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...