Thursday, July 30, 2020

What a Dipstick



Twenty-two years ago, my little family moved to Helena.  Everyone talked about Mt Helena and the wonderful trail system right in town.  I knew about the trails from an annual training a year prior.  I loved hiking the trails.  About sixteen years ago, I joined a group of ladies that mountain biked.  I am not a biker on mountains that steep, but I heard about the Scratchgravel trails.  I attempted the trailhead off of Norris.  I didn't care for it.  Years later, I tried finding the trailhead off of Head Lane.  I wasn't impressed because I saw nothing.
With the loss of our field for walking by our house, I thought I would try Head Lane again.  Madelle and Jerry have hiked it the last two summers.  Now, the mountain that is part of the Scratchgravel Mountains I climbed once.  My oldest son and I tackled it one Christmas Day.  We basically went straight up.  Ouch.
So, with Leo next to me, I drove up Head Lane.  I made it to the bus turnaround like last time and didn't see any trails.  Stupidly, I get nervous with country roads that look like they only go to people's homes, but I was determined to find where the trailhead began.  I kept driving.  I sighed with relief when I saw a sign that I followed to a nice parking spot.
What a perfect spot!  The trail system is extensive and the old roads are perfect.  Yes, all of them have uphill climbs, but the options are easy and hard.  I loved it.  Flowers were blooming all over the place.  The views were beautiful.  I even saw plenty of prickly pear, which I love.  I didn't notice any barrel cactus.  I probably will later, but if not, the rest was stunning.  I am so excited to be able to come here to walk the dog.
Of course, I pushed myself a little too far on my sore leg.  I went .75 in one direction.  I stuck to an old road until on the way back I saw a trail that would be a bit of a short cut.  Not the brightest idea.  Luckily it didn't get steep.  I loved snapping some pictures.  The funny part is that I am such a dipstick.  I have lived so close to the perfect spot to go hiking.  I only saw three people and two dogs.  Oh, well.  Better late than never.
Here are some of the pictures from the hike.







I have also meant to write about a fishing trip Clay and I took last Saturday.  The weekend's plan originally were to host a family gathering.  We canceled do to Covid, but Clay still came home.  I was so thankful that he did.  Anyway, here are some of those pictures as well.  We dropped a line in Holter Lake and the Missouri River.  No bites.  Next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...