Friday, February 7, 2020

Call Me What I Am


Shaking my head, I realize that I need to go back into my writing room and stop reading articles.  Wow, this Super Bowl halftime stuff is hilarious.  Yes, I saw the show.  Now, facebook has gone crazy with a ton of articles.  I have read one or two.  I don’t remember whose timeline I was on, so I can’t quote the articles, but one of them states that those who didn’t like the halftime show are racist.  Seriously?  They talked about all the ethnic representation done with the dancing.  To prove I am not racist, I have to claim I liked the show.  Not going to happen.

I didn’t like the show.  I am not racist.  You can call me that if you like, but it doesn’t make it true.  I am sure there are those out in the world that hated the show because they are racist.  Unfortunately, racists do exist.  But to say if a person didn’t like the show means they are racist is pathetic.

Years ago, my husband and I went to Ensenada, Mexico.  While there for the day, we went to a Mexican festival.  The dancing and music was phenomenal.  I loved how the beautiful women used their long, flared-out, brightly colored skirts as part of the dance.  I don’t think I have ever seen anything so beautiful.  When I saw similar dance steps at the halftime show, I thought of the potential to make the message great.  Instead, I was saddened at how such beautiful cultural dances were sexualized.

I am sorry I didn’t like looking at JLo’s crotch.  Distasteful.  Does this make me a racist?  No!  Prudish?  Undoubtedly.  I am okay with being called a prude, old-fashioned, and modest.  And I don't care how much you explain a pole away, I will always see a stripper attached to it when wearing little clothing and making those types of moves.  These are the reasons I didn’t like the halftime show.  I think crotches and poles should be left at the strip clubs or the bedroom, not during a halftime show.

So come on people.  Call me what I really am.



I wrote this the day after the Super Bowl.  I wanted to put other things on my blog first, so I continued to see things about show.  At first, I thought about whether I should be offended by one meme.  Instead, I laughed like crazy when one of my friends put a meme on her timeline about how next year's halftime show would be put on by an Amish choir.  Now, that is funny.  I still would prefer the Mexican dresses.

A friend of my daughter's posted a meme of the Olympics uniforms for volleyball and gymnastic.  This gave me pause.  Maybe I should have liked halftime.  Then I realized, no.  I really don't like those uniforms either.  Yes, I am prudish.

And you know, I am okay with being prudish.  I am okay with people liking the show at halftime.  I am no more racist because I didn't like the show as my friends are sluts for liking the show.  I will call this whole thing what it really is.  A difference of opinion.  Wow, what a concept.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...