Monday, April 10, 2017

Liverpool


Of all the places in England, Liverpool never entered my thoughts.  The great places of military, faith, literature, and natural wonders made the list overflow, but not the city on the Mersey River.  When the destination was entered on the itinerary, I groaned.  The Beatles?  Really?  My attitude needed adjusting, so five to six months before the trip, I bought a concert CD.  I marveled at all the screaming girls, but I still didn't feel the excitement.


In October, my son and I took a road trip to Libby.  On the way up, he played the Revolver album.  My interest sparked.  After a week or two after the trip, I found a greatest hits CD.  Every time I drove my car, the music wrapped around the vehicle until I began thinking I was in a yellow submarine.  What are my favorite songs?  I have a list: Paperback Writer, Eleanor Rigby, Penny Lane, Yesterday, and well, you get the idea.  I fell in love with the Beatles.






We didn't go to the museum.  Instead we took a small tour bus around the city.  The tour guide said he knows George and talked about him quite a lot.  I believe George's mother, a few days after his birth, had to hide with him in her arms under a stairwell during a bombing of the city during WWII.  I never put them in this era.  Fascinating. 

Of course, the guide talked about the rest of the band as well.  I learned so much about them.  Paul's mother was a midwife in the 50's.  I loved this because I just finished the last episode of "Call the Midwife" a BBC television show, so I felt like I know a little part of her.  She died of breast cancer when Paul was in his late teens or early twenties. 




John also lost his mom at around the same time when she was hit by a car.  Of course, he didn't live with her or his father.  He was raised by his aunt.  Because of this, he related to the orphans of Liverpool who lived at Strawberry Fields (a song) where he would sneak onto the grounds and climb trees.  We drove by the sight. 





Penny Lane was also a song which we drove along.  I had chills being in this area. 




The best part of the tour for me was driving by the cemetery where a headstone stands for Eleanor Rigby.




Did I enjoy Liverpool?  Most definitely.  Granted, I would not have traveled to this destination nor for this tour.  However, by embracing the idea, I delighted in the detour.  The Beatles will forever hold a special place in my heart and I officially see myself as a fan.  Besides, how many people can pull a vinyl out of its sleeve that came from a Beatles tourist shop from Liverpool, England?  Priceless.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...