Friday, March 1, 2013

Fitting Some Pieces Together


Last night as I read my Bible reading for the day, I excitedly realized a connection between the book of Leviticus and Ruth.  I have read the book of Ruth a number of times.  This past November, I wrote the story of Ruth for part of my NaNo (National write a book in the month of November) project.  She worked very hard gleaning grain from Boaz’s field to feed both her and her mother-in-law Naomi.  The practice of allowing the poor the droppings has been common knowledge for me; however, I didn’t know it was a law.

                Leviticus is the book in the Bible with the laws of the Jews.  In chapter 23 verse 22 it states, “When you harvest the crops of your land, do not harvest the grain along the edges of your fields, and do not pick up what the harvesters drop.  Leave it for the poor and the foreigners living among you.  I, the Lord, am your God.”  Boaz wasn’t simply being generous, he was following Biblical Law. 

                The other aspect I find interesting this morning as I reflect further is that this law sets up the idea of tithing and charity which of course are very important aspects of the Christian faith.  I must confess reading Leviticus has been a tad bit boring, but last night I started to see merit in this aspect of the old law.

                Blessings to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...