Friday, April 27, 2012

Ruth, My Guide

            My dry spell still plagues me in these beautiful days of spring.  I continue to spend my time walking, enjoying nature, and searching.  The other day I sat out on the patio my husband is building reading the Bible.  I began at the beginning of Psalms.  Excited, the fourth chapter spoke to me.  My pen began to write words on the paper until I realized they reflected so many of my previous posts.  I growled out a couple more sentences closing my notebook in irritation.
            Today as I drove my daughter to school, I wondered what I would do to entertain myself on this cold cloudy day.  Gardening in the chilly weather holds no appeal to me, so I thought of my painting, editing, and crocheting projects let alone cleaning house as options, but I wanted to write.  A Natalie Grant song came on the radio which reminded me of her other song.  Or what I thought was her other song. 
Once home I started looking for the music on iTunes, but hit a couple of dead ends.  Being of the instant access to information generation, I became a little impatient with my search.  I almost quit.  Luckily, I am also bullheaded and finally found what I wanted.  The song is actually sung by Nichole Nordeman and Amy Grant and is entitled “I’m With You (Ruth & Naomi).  I can’t remember the first time I heard the lyrics on the radio, but I really connected with the song. 
Twenty-two and a half years ago, my fiancé and I began planning our wedding.  When asked what readings we wanted, the love of my life asked for a reading from the book of Ruth.  He didn’t request much, leaving most of the arrangements up to me, so I gladly agreed to this reading.  Admittedly, I hesitated in my mind because the reading talked about me giving up my family and following his family.  Yet, metaphorically I didn’t mind if my following represented faith.  His family all attended church together and I wanted that in my family.
As I grew in my faith, I read the book of Ruth a couple of times and read a novel about Ruth and Naomi.  The novel really struck home.  Ruth’s family (in the novel), though rich and influential, didn’t have a faith life.  Her mother-in-law, Naomi, did.  When her husband, brother-in-law, and father-in-law died, times became hard.  Ruth relied on this faith to help them start a new life.  Though she could have easily left the faith and returned to her parents, Ruth worked hard with constant belief.  In the end, she found a home for the two of them.
My mother-in-law and I have also journeyed.  Some of our family members have left through choice or death and some have left our faith.  Literally we have not been homeless like Naomi and Ruth; yet, I can’t help see times in our life where we were homeless in relationship with family.  But, we keep moving forward.  I think of all the hard work Ruth struggled through to earn them a home.  She worked in the fields for their food.  I haven’t worked like her in my homelessness.  With relationship though, the journey must take place between all parties involved.  I am happy to say I am not homeless with my mother-in-law.  I am very blessed to have her in my life.  She always supports all that I do from my projects, writing, faith, and raising her grandbabies.  I wish I could say I have been as good of a daughter-in-law.  I will keep trying.  Ruth will be my guide.
I am curious.  Is there a person from the Bible you relate to and hold dear?  I would love to hear your story.  Blessings to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...