Thursday, February 2, 2023

Revamp

 

A picture from our yard last summer.



I love the beginning of the new year.  I also love January.  This month I get to work on all my new plans for the year.  Sure, the weather is cold.  Yep, I don’t go outside as much as l like.  The winter nights are long, but I have a list of items to work on.  Yep, I love the beginning of a new year.

As if new plans weren’t enough, I also pick a word to meditate on for the year.  All last year, I worked on purpose, my purpose.  I felt lost and adrift.  What did I want to do when I grew up?  I read a midlife crisis type book.  I prayed.  I went on a silent retreat.  As the year closed, I thought my word for 2023 would be purpose.  Well, a friend told me about a word generator on a website.  For fun, I pushed the button.  I received the word Revamp.  Perfect.  I love when that happens.  So, all last month, I worked my five purpose statements that are intended to “revamp” my life.

Now that February has arrived, I am laughing at my list.  Well, I am laughing at the last item on my list.  Hum, maybe I should explain.  I have five purpose (mission) statements.  I won’t bore you with the wordiness of them.  Here is the shortened version.  The first is about growing my faith, becoming a better person, and sharing my faith with those who are interested.  Next, I want to be work on being a better wife, mother, and friend.  During the last year with Jerry in Kuwait, I buried myself in the quilt room.  I was just too depressed and grumpy to release myself onto polite society.  Now, I need to become available again to those I love.  My health is and always will be precarious with the autoimmune diseases I have, let alone the nasal issues.  However, I need to exercise more and hopefully lose a little weight.  

I of course also have a purpose statement for my hobbies.  I knew with Jerry home the number of quilts would go from twenty a year to more like ten.  This is actually why I am laughing at my list.  I haven’t worked on a quilt for about two weeks.  I barely finished a quilt for a dear friend.  Thank goodness I don’t have any quilts I am making for gifts because, well, I don’t see any getting done in the near future.  My new goal is maybe five completed by the end of 2023.  This is because of my final purpose statement, work.  Yep, work is going to waylay all my plans for the year, and I am so blasted excited.  I am so revamping not only my life but my entire families.  Opps.

For the last two weeks, Jerry and I have been working at buying a new house and a huge shop that are sitting on eleven acres of land.  Yep, we are going for the new dream of being multiple acre landowners.  We have been working finances for a loan.  Our current house is going on the market tomorrow.  Madelle and I have been decluttering and packing like crazy while Jerry and Clay have been moving boxes to a new storage unit that is helping the process.  We have had numerous meetings with our real estate agent.  Signing tons of paperwork, the whole nine yards or should I say eleven acres?

Where in the world did this come from?  As a kid, I hated living in town.  I wanted to live in the country so I could ride my horse every day.  I wanted to have animals to take care of and places to explore.  Years ago, Jerry offered to buy me land.  I loved him so much for the sentiment.  However, we were too busy.  We both worked full time, were raising kids that were busy in tons of activities, and we lost two weekends a month due to our parttime military career.  We were a town couple, a town family.

The deployments, state of the country, and loss changed all of us.  For the last couple of years, we have discussed owning land as a family.  The kids love the idea of being neighbors and the someday cousins being able to play together all the time.  All of us love the idea of fresh eggs, fruits, vegetables, and meat.  Madelle wants to raise beagles, and Jerry needs a place for his catering.  I would love a bigger garden that isn’t so crowded that I have to
step over plants.  And fresh meat, well, that is just an amazing opportunity.  Clay is all set to help with fencing and animal tasks.  He is in charge of a chicken tractor.  Oh, the things I have been learning already!

    Stay tuned for the progress on Poor Richard's Farm.


1 comment:

  1. How exciting for you all! I marvel at your methodical purpose! You plan and I float…aimlessly 😝 Let me know if you need/want help.

    ReplyDelete

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...